Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Alice be Ghostly 1926 - 2007

O, fellow, come, the song we had last night.
Mark it, Cesario, it is old and plain;
The spinsters and the knitters in the sun
And the free maids that weave their thread with bones
Do use to chant it: it is silly sooth,
And dallies with the innocence of love,
Like the old age.

Shakespeare, Twelfth Night





So long Alice Ghostly, one of early television's great spinsters. Ghostly, along with other iconic single women of tv, Ann B. Davis, Nancy Kulp, and Sheila Kuehl, modeled the image of a single women for the Baby Boomers. It may not always have been pretty (Schultzy, Miss Hathaway) but it was THERE.


Alice was born on Aug. 14, 1926, in Eve, Mo., where her father worked as a telegraph operator. She grew up in Henryetta, Oklahoma. After graduating from high school, Ghostley attended the University of Oklahoma but dropped out and moved to New York with her sister to pursue a career in the theater.



"The best job I had then was as a theater usher," she said in a 1990 Boston Globe interview. "I saw the plays for free. What I saw before me was a visualization of what I wanted to do and what I wanted to be."

She was well aware of the types of roles she should pursue. "I knew I didn't look like an ingenue," she told The Globe. "My nose was too long. I had crooked teeth. I wasn't blond. I knew I looked like a character actress.

"But I also knew I'd find a way," she added. And she did. And we remember her.


Thanks to cub reporter David Staskowski for contributing to this post.

2 comments:

David Stas said...

(one merely contributes, another makes it art.)
I adore the three fates. Nancy, Ann B and Alice. Love them then, love them still. Ann B. alone now carries the torch. Thanks Ruby.

David Stas said...

I didn't mean to Dis' state Senator Sheila "Zelda" Kuehl, known as the smartest member of the CA Legislature. She is just so busy for me to bother her with carrying my torch.