Monday, January 15, 2007

The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

The Coral Sands wishes a Happy Birthday to one of the greatest leaders of our nation, the man who was the moral compass of the Civil Rights movement in the 1950s and 1960s, the Reverend Dr. King.
"So I say to you, my friends, that even though we must face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed -- we hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.
.
I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, sons of former slaves and sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood."
.
Dr. King was a man of his times and his language reflected those times. It was pre-women's rights and pre- gay rights. But he was our champion for equal rights and he looked to a future "when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning -- 'My Country 'Tis of Thee; sweet land of liberty; of thee I sing. . . LET FREEDOM RING."

No comments: